Saturday, August 4, 2007

Random Happenings


- Randomly met a bunch of 20/30 something guys from Boston in the Sopporo Museam beer hall in Tokyo, was pretty nice to drink a few beers with people from back home, and get to speak english.


- Stayed in a Capsule Hotel last night in Tokyo because I wanted to be closer to the train station and get up early to catch the train. All in all not a bad deal, but you basically get woken up every hour until 4 AM by a drunk stumbling in, and then starting at 5 AM by people leaving to get the first subway. I just got up and 5 and got a really early train down south.


- Took my first ride on the Shinkansen (bullet train) today, it is really nice, basically all the speed of a plane (in a country the size of Japan) and all the convinence of a subway or commuter rail. Imagine having a mode of trasport that would get you from Boston to New York in about 2 hours, that leaves every 15 minutes and does not require reservations, pretty nice.


- I am now down in Fukuoka, which is on the south island of Japan, called Kyūshū. So far I like it down here better then Tokyo, size is a lot more manageable and people seem nicer and happier, sometimes the sleepy mobs of worker drones in Tokyo can be a little depressing.


- Fukuoka is famous for its Ramen, which they sell everywhere. I just had a bowl and have to say that it was the best $5 food dish I have ever had. There is actually a stong possibility that I will be having another bowl from a street stand before I go to bed tonight.

No comments: